Slips and falls are some of the most common accidents in the country and, though they might not sound like a big deal, some of the injuries that a person sustains can be life-altering or even fatal. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), slips and falls account for nearly nine million visits to the emergency room every year. In fact, many victims of slips and falls end up requiring ongoing treatment and therapy for their injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), this puts the direct medical costs of falls at about $30 billion a year.
Below is a list of some of the most common injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents:
- Sprains and fractures: When a person slips and falls, the movements can be very abrupt and the victim can twist a knee or ankle. The landing itself can cause broken bones and fractures of the forearm, leg, ankle, upper arm, wrist, and hand. According to the CDC, these types of fractures are generally more common amongst older adults.
- Shoulder injuries: A slip and fall can cause a violent jolt to the shoulder, resulting in dislocation, also known as a brachial plexus injury. Essentially, the network of nerves that connect your spinal cord to your shoulder, arm, and hand could all be stretched or torn if the blow from a fall violently forces your shoulder down as your head is pushed up and away from the shoulder.
- Hip fractures: According to the CDC, over 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls. This type of injury often requires surgery and hospitalization for at least a week, followed by admission to a nursing home for rehabilitation. Hip fractures are also potentially fatal. It is estimated that one out of five hip fracture patients dieS within a year of their surgery.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: A fall can also potentially damage the vertebrae or result in a slipped or herniated disc, causing pain and limited mobility. If you were to damage your spinal cord in a slip and fall accident, this could result in varying degrees of paralysis, including the complete loss of sensation in affected parts of the body.
- Head injuries: One of the most common injuries caused by slip and fall accidents are head injuries or traumatic brain injuries (TBI). A TBI could be a concussion that clears up on its own after a matter of weeks and some rest, or it could be severe enough to cause lasting cognitive impairment, mood changes, seizures, and other disruptive and painful symptoms.
If you sustained an injury as a result of a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligent actions, you could be entitled to compensation. Make sure you reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney to find out what your next steps should be.
Slip and Fall Attorney in Milwaukee
Slip and fall accidents can lead to serious, life-altering injuries and, if yours was caused by the negligent actions of another party, you have a right to pursue fair and just compensation. At Casey Law Offices, S.C. in Milwaukee, our team of personal injury attorneys is dedicated to fighting on behalf of the wrongfully injured and will do what it takes to ensure the responsible party is held accountable for their actions.
Get started on your slip and fall accident case today and reach out to our law firm at (414) 272-3776 to request your free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.