National Bike Accident Attorney
Helping Injured Bicyclists Seek Compensation
Helmets alone won't protect you from a bicycle accident injury. Cyclists often share the roads with larger vehicles and far too often, a cyclist is killed or seriously hurt in an accident.
No matter how safe you try to be, serious collisions can still happen. Casey Law Offices and our injury attorneys have extensive experience handling bicycle accident claims and representing seriously injured victims, including those who have suffered brain injuries and spinal cord injuries.
Our personal injury lawyers can guide you through your cycling accident claim and seek the highest financial recovery possible. Put your claim in the hands of a dedicated advocate who is committed to protecting your interests.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Both cyclists and drivers are subject to the same traffic laws. If a driver's negligence caused your bicycle accident, then you may be eligible to seek compensation for your injuries, either from the drivers' insurance company or through your own insurance policy.
Bicycle crashes are typically caused by:
- Drivers making left turns ("the left cross") - Perhaps the most frequent cause of bicycle accidents is due to drivers making left turns at intersections and failing to yield or see riders.
- Drivers turning right ("the right hook") - When making right turns, drivers often speed up to cut off a cyclist to make a turn, leading to dangerous collisions.
- Distracted driving - When drivers turn their attention away from the roads, such as fidgeting with their smartphones, they often fail to notice bicyclists up ahead or adjacent to their vehicles.
- Opening doors - This occurs when a parked car opens a door and slams into a biker passing by.
- Backing up - Some drivers often do not check their rear before backing out of a driveway or parking spot.
Sometimes bicycle accidents can be complex. Our personal injury law firm can consult with experts to analyze the cause of your accident and determine how your injuries will affect your life.
Bicycle Accident Insurance Coverage
People are often confused about how insurance coverage usually works when it comes to bicycle accidents. Below are some answers to common questions regarding bicycle accident coverage.
- Will car insurance cover my bicycle accident? - In many cases, car insurance can actually apply if you are hit by a car while riding your bicycle. If the driver who hit you was at fault, you can recover compensation from his or her car insurance.
- What if the other driver does not have insurance or is underinsured? - If the driver who hit your bike does not have car insurance or does not have enough insurance coverage, your uninsured motorist coverage can kick in to cover the cost. This is why it is generally a good idea to include uninsured motorist coverage in your auto insurance policy. Uninsured coverage can also apply in hit and run accidents as well.
Bicycle Safety Tips
While we cannot do much to prevent drivers from behaving recklessly, bicyclists can take extra care to avoid a collision. Below are some tips to help cyclists stay safe on the road.
- Visibility. Make sure that drivers can see you even at night. Wear high visibility clothing and use lights, especially when cycling at night or in areas with poor lighting.
- Be alert. Avoid distractions such as listening to music or talking on the phone while riding. You need to keep your mind focused on what is happening on the roads, the intersections, and whether there are obstructions in your path.
- Ride with traffic. Go in the direction of traffic and obey all traffic laws and signals. Riding with traffic also makes it more likely for drivers to see you.
- Test your bike. Regularly check your brakes and tires to ensure they are working properly.
What To Do After a Bike Crash
Bicycle accidents should be treated like car accidents. After a bicycle accident, you should contact the police so that a police report can be created.
You should also gather witness contact information, take photographs, and write down details of the accident location. It is important to contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your claim and to verify whether an insurer is offering a fair settlement.
The bicycle accident lawyer at Casey Law Offices can protect your rights and help you seek full and fair compensation for your losses, including medical costs, lost wages, and other damages. We can explore your viable sources of financial recovery and how the claims process works.
When Should I Contact an Attorney Following an Accident?
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence, your first priority should be your safety. Once you have been treated for your injuries you should seek the services of an attorney.
Involving legal help from the onset of your accident can help preserve crucial evidence to assist in securing proper compensation. Having the right legal help can ensure all documents are filled out properly and that the insurance company covers what damages you are entitled to.
It’s never too early to involve legal assistance. Our attorneys at Casey Law Offices, S.C. are here to help you through this difficult time. We believe it’s important to hold negligent drivers accountable and are here to walk you through each step of the legal process.