Being involved in an accident is often a traumatic experience and those involving semi-trucks can be especially devastating due to the types of catastrophic injuries often sustained. The steps you take in the aftermath of an accident like this are crucial for ensuring a successful personal injury claim, so continue reading to find out what you should do next.
How to Handle the Aftermath of a Semi-Truck Accident
Although you will likely feel very overwhelmed after being involved in an accident with a semi-truck, there are some steps you should take to ensure you have the best possible chance of obtaining the compensation you deserve.
Here is what you should do after an accident:
- Contact law enforcement immediately. Not only will you or others need help, but the report filed at the scene will serve as an important part of your claim.
- If you are physically capable and it is safe to do so, take photos of the scene. You can always delete whatever you do not need, so just make sure you take as many as you can from many different angles. Take pictures of your injuries, your vehicle, and the truck.
- Collect as much pertinent information as you can. Much like a car accident, you will need the names, identifying information, and addresses of the truck driver and anyone else who may have been involved or even witnessed the accident. You will also need to obtain the vehicle DOT license number for the truck and trailer.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident. If the trucking company’s insurance company calls you, keep in mind that you are not required to talk to them or provide a statement.
- Even if your injuries do not appear severe, you should still seek medical attention as soon as possible. It is not uncommon for the effects of a serious injury to become apparent days after an accident, so it is important not to postpone medical treatment. Additionally, creating a medical record of your accident is essential for your claim.
Speak to an Experienced Personal Injury About Your Semi-Truck Accident Today!
If you were injured in a semi-truck accident, the skilled team at Casey Law Offices, S.C. can provide the aggressive legal representation you need to secure fair and just compensation. With more than 25 years of proven experience on your side, you can rest assured your case is in good hands with us.
Call our law office today at (414) 272-5564 to schedule a free initial consultation with our attorney to get started on your personal injury claim.